Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I prepare a document to be recorded?

The Recorder's office strongly recommends that you seek professional advice from attorneys or licensed title agencies before preparing any document to be recorded. Our employees cannot offer legal advice.

Does your office supply blank forms if I want to prepare my own document?

No. You may visit the Franklin County Law Library, visit your local library or may obtain "fill in the blank" forms at many office supply or stationery stores. Care must be taken that any submitted documents meet all legal requirements.

What happens to an original document once it has been recorded?

The originals are returned based on the instructions given to us at the time of recording. Typically those instructions are to return the documents to the financial institution or title company that is completing the recording of the document(s). Individuals are recommended to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope when submitting their documents for their return.

How do I search for a deed by street address or parcel number?

The Recorder updates many indexes on a document when recorded. Those indexes include legal description and parcel numbers and can be searched under the Legal Description search criteria. Property address is not included as a separate index and you may find a name, transfer date or other information by searching for Address on the Franklin County Auditor's search page.

I have just paid off my loan. Where is my new deed?

Typically a new deed is only issued when a property is transferred (e.g. bought/sold). When a mortgage is satisfied, a release of mortgage (REMO) is prepared and filed by the lender.

Where can I get a survey of my property?

Surveys are not typically filed in the Recorder's Office. Contact your lender or title company for this information. If your home is in a subdivision, a plat map will typically be available. A plat map is a drawing showing dimensions of a lot with streets, alleys, building lines, etc. drawn to scale. You can search our records for plat maps by using a subdivision name. A plat map will not show any buildings or blueprints. The Franklin County Auditor's office manages a public access map room where users may print customized Geographic Information System (GIS) maps. The available customized data layers include building footprints, lot dimensions, and some utilities.

Are UCC filings recorded in the Recorder's Office?

Effective July 1 2001, Uniform Commercial Code financing statements are recorded in this office if they relate to real estate.

Can I e-File deeds?

Yes (via Simplifile). However, any document that transfers real estate must first be approved by the Auditor's office. The Auditor may be reached at 614-525-3253.

A credit agency is showing I have a lien in Franklin County.

Certain real property liens are filed with the Recorder's office, but this office does not remove or release any liens. Documents recorded in our office are public record and are accessible for search by any interested parties, including credit-reporting agencies. Certain property tax liens are handled by the Franklin County Treasurer, others are the result of filings with the Clerk of Courts. Other liens (e.g. unpaid State of Ohio Income Tax Liens) may require you to contact another agency. It is recommended you obtain a case number from the reporting agency. If disputed, you may dispute errors in your credit profile with the credit bureau.

I need to have certified copies. Can I print out documents from home and then have them certified?

No. Certified Copies contain a stamp of authenticity from our office which is required for many legal processes. We would need to print and stamp them as part of our process. You can submit a Certified Copy Request on our website. You can also come to our office where we will certify on the spot or you can send in a request through the mail to order certified copies. There is a fee required in accordance with state law.

Do you have the deed to my mobile home?

No. The Franklin County Auditor's Personal Property Tax Division registers mobile home titles.

What is a "marginal notation"?

A marginal notation is a reference to a previously recorded document. Historically, documents such as mortgages and liens were assigned and/or released by placing a stamp in the margins of the official record book. Many documents require a prior reference for recording and indexing. There is an additional charge per reference for documents that are recorded with our office containing marginal notations. When preparing references on documents for recording, please use the "official recording number" for the reference, using the corresponding date parameters: All documents recorded as of 5/15/1997 use an instrument number, e.g. 201701010001111, as the official recording number. For documents recorded before 5/15/1997 but on or after 10/10/1980, the official recording number is a volume and page, and uses a letter within the page number, e.g. 27654I17. Documents recorded prior to 10/10/1980 use a book and page, e.g. 3703 125, as the official recording number.

Didn't find the answer to your question here? Check out the Services Guide, give us a call at 614-525-3930, or email us at [email protected].