Document RequirementsStandards Template
Sec. 317.114.(A) Except as otherwise provided in division (B) of this section, an instrument or document presented for recording to the county recorder shall have been prepared in accordance with all of the following requirements:
- Print size not smaller than a computer font size of ten;
- Minimum paper size of eight and one-half inches by eleven inches;
- Maximum paper size of eight and one-half inches by fourteen inches;
- Black or blue ink only;
- No use of highlighting;
- Margins of one-inch width on each side of each page of the instrument or document;
- A margin of one-inch width across the bottom of each page of the instrument or document;
- A three-inch margin of blank space across the top of the first page of each instrument or document to accommodate any certification or indorsement of the county engineer, county auditor, or county recorder, as may be required by law, with the right half of that margin being reserved for the indorsement of the county recorder required by section 317.12 of the Revised Code; and
- A one and one-half-inch margin across the top of each of the remaining pages of the instrument or document.
The county recorder shall accept for recording an instrument or document that does not conform to the foregoing requirements but shall charge and collect the following additional fees for each such instrument or document: an additional base fee for the recorder's services of ten dollars and a housing trust fund fee of ten dollars, which shall be collected pursuant to section 317.36 of the Revised Code.(B) This section does not apply to any of the following:
- Any document that originates with any court or taxing authority;
- Any document authorized to be recorded under section 317.24 of the Revised Code;
- Any plat, as defined in section 711.001 of the Revised Code, that is required or authorized by the Revised Code to be recorded;
- Any document authorized to be recorded that originates from any state or federal agency;
- Any document executed before the effective date of this section.
373 S. High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Open: M-F 8AM-5PM
Hearing Impaired TTY
The Franklin County Recorder's Office no longer processes any documents after 4:45pm. Click here for more information.